Translate

Three Years and Memories

The sun sets on this trailer house
in our small West Texas town.
A smile would be nice to see
because lately there've been nothing but frowns.

We're saying goodbye to my father
the cancer has set too far in.
This battle has been beat by few,
and he's one that didn't win.

His frail, limp body
remains sustained on the couch.
His tears, fear, and suffering
was all just too much.

Excuses, excuses, to leave this behind.
To drive westward, into the sun
only to travel around the moon
and return when his suffering is done.

God, please come take him,
hasn't he suffered enough?
I was sure he was immortal
but he's not THAT tough.

Lying in my bed
I peered up into the night
and whispered "goodbye, Daddy."
and then squeezed my pillow tight.

I awoke with morning's light
to find him covered in a sheet.
I walked past, about to cry.
My father had been defeated.

Now three years have passed
since the day of his death,
and memories of his smile
are all I've got left.

No comments:

Post a Comment